Saturday, September 22, 2012

Ringing report

In a post on 8th August I mentioned a ring found in an Eagle Owl's nest. I heard back from the BTO and this too was an Oystercatcher tjeld ringed in the UK.

Here is an extract from the report I received from the BTO:

Ringing Scheme: London         Ring Number: FV04446         Species of bird: Oystercatcher Haematopus ostralegus
This bird was ringed by Wash Wader RG as age 2nd year , sex unknown on 12-Aug-1975 at Friskney New Marsh, Lincolnshire
OS Map reference TF4954, co-ordinates 53deg 4min N 0deg 13min E

As the nest was "new" to me I have no idea how long the ring had been there - but this bird could certainly have been pretty old when it was taken. An amazing parellel with the previous ring I found in an Eagle Owl's nest!

For details of the previous find see this post

No comments: