Monday, November 18, 2013

Hjelme Vest 18 November 2013 - A decent haul

Fresh southerly winds, showers later.

Conditions were far from ideal for picking things up on the sea but small numbers of most of the usual wintering species were seen including several Velvet Scoter sjøorre and a Black Guillemot teist.

 
Above and below: Black-throated Diver storlom



Just as I left a nice Black-throated Diver storlom flew south and I found three Parrot Crossbill furukorsnebb in the woods. I won't swear to it but I may finally have cracked the difference in call for this species - something that I have always struggled with. With flocks of Common Crossbill grankorsnebb an almost constant sight I can't say there hasn't been enough to practise on of late....

 
Glaucous Gull polarmåke at Tjeldstø


A trip to the shops produced a nice first winter Glaucous Gull polarmåke - the first of the autumn.

No comments: