Sunday, February 12, 2017

Nautnes / Skogsøy 12 February 2017 - Spring!

Glorious calm and sunny weather,

It felt too warm too have frost but all freshwater very much frozen.

The first Lapwing vipe of the year flew over the house as I took my first cup of coffee on the terrace. More snowdrops now flowering in my garden and the first crocus in flower just down the road. With Robin rødstrupe and various other species in song it really felt like spring today!

I did a quick trip to Skogsøy today - nothing out of the ordinary but unsurprisingly some Whoopers sangsvane now present there (a popular place with this species when freshwater freezes). Also a Curlew storspove and small numbers of various duck.

Common Crossbill grankorsnebb still very widespread - this one was singing


I took my youngest skating in the afternoon - something that produced the first local Great Spotted Woodpecker flaggspett of the year.

As the light went an Otter turned up on the shore in front of the house.,..




Otter with fish - probably short-spined sea scorpion




No comments: