Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Hjelme 09 January 2019 - Calm before (and after) the storm

A beautiful day weather-wise so I was typically bogged down with work most of the day. I have barely been out birding the last several days, but today I tried to make up for it.

During a lengthy telephone call to the office I picked up a number of new for the year from the kitchen window in the form of Peregrine vandrefalk, Black Guillemot teist, Velvet Scoter sjøorre and Long-tailed Duck havelle. Other species included a couple of White-tailed Eagle havørn and Common Scoter svartand.

Inspired by this I took my lunch break at Hjelme Vest where I predictably managed to clock up a few more new for the year. Best birds were two Great Northern Diver islom and a Woodcock rugde. Equally predictable but less exciting were a few Crested Tit toppmeis. Other birds seen here included several Common Scoter svartand, around 40 Long-tailed Duck havelle, a Curlew storspove, a few White-tailed Eagle havørn and a Rock Pipit skjærepiplerke.

A drive-by at Sæle on the way home produced the first Great-spotted Woodpecker flaggspett of the year flying over the road.


No comments: