Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Skogsøy 28 April 2019 - Misty but far from dull

A very misty start to the day so I went back to bed for an hour or two after my alarm clock woke me.
I therefore didn't get out to the lookout point until 0740 (a couple of hours later than I should have had there been any visibility).

I sat there as long as I could (four hours) and had to run back to the car in order to not be late for a family thing.

Common Scoter svartand

Gannet havsule

Red-throated Diver smålom

One of the 12 White-billed Diver gulnebblom


Highlights were 12 adult White-billed Divers gulnebblom heading north and a 2cy bird on the sea as a bonus. The first of these to pass was the closest, and as it was still drizzling my camera was still in my rucksack so I just sat back and enjoyed it - no need to photograph everything! Almost 240 Red-throated Diver smålom, a couple of cracking pale phase Arctic Skua tyvjo, two Whimbrel småspove, some 30 Long-tailed Duck havelle and 50 Common Scoter svartand were among the other birds seen.



Two drake Gargany knekkand just after landing...


A message regarding two male Gargany knekkand at Tjeldstø meant that despite my super fast time back to the car I was still late for the family thing - after returning home for a change of clothes there was a mandatory stop at Tjeldstø to catch up with these superb birds - I was very lucky as shortly after I arrived they flew up and then landed much closer.....

Other birds seen/heard included a Lesser Whitethroat møller at Tjeldstø, another Whimbrel småspove and some Twite bergirisk from my terrace at Nautnes 

No comments: