Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Herdlevær 12 November 2022 - A new camera, a new era:)

 As my trusty DSLR has given up the ghost and with technology changing (and unavailable at short notice) I have changed tack completely on the photography side of things.

I now have what might be the perfects birders camera. Small, light and it seems like it takes decent enough pics most of the time. I was worried about flight shots with a super zoom but a morning out at Herdlevær taking a lot more pictures than I normally do gave the impression that it just might work. 

Yes, it is a little slower to get up and running and the focusing can be both slow and wrong but it can do the job. 

I spent more time trying out the camera than actual birding today so no doubt missed a lot. There was an obvious massive movement of stuff well offshore (i.e. scope on zoom to identify) with 100's of Kittiwakes krykkje , Common Scoter svartand and auks passing.

A flock of Parrot Crossbill furukorsnebb, a couple of late Woodpigeon ringdue, several Rock Pipit skjærpiplerke and a Woodcock rugde were among the birds seen during my usual round.

On the way home more Parrot Crossbills furukorsnebb at Breivik and Tjeldstø where there were also 15 Purple Sandpipers fjæreplytt.

Here are some pics taken on the first morning out with my new camera:


GBBG svartbak - not a bad flight shot for a point and pray:)

Guillemot lomvi on the sea


More flight shot testing - this time Herring Gulls gråmåke







Parrot Crossbills furukornebb - lighting is almost always an issue when trying to photograph these birds.
Not how the head angle affects whether or not the mandibles actually cross or not.
I go through phases where I am sure I can pick up Parrot Crossibill on call. This autumn is not one of those periods - I failed big time on call with these birds:)





Rock Pipit skjæpiplerke photography training



Scaup bergand remains at Tjeldstø

A pleasing shot of a Wren gjerdesmett with the new compact superzoom.


These White-tailed Eagles havørn were further away than I normally bother with photographs for but had to try the new camera:)




No comments: