Saturday, March 25, 2023

Oslo 21-24 March 2023 Finally out birding in the capital

 I have not managed to get out and about in the Oslo area for way too long so I made sure that I did what I used to call my usual trip around the islands and was not disappointed.

Tuesday 21 March saw me at the office all day but I did spend 15 minutes of my lunch break outside picking up my first Lesser Black-backed Gulls sildemåke of the year and generally enjoyed the many signs of spring even though there was still some ice on the sea and much of the ground was still covered in snow. Flocks of Greylag grågås and some Barnacle Geese hvitkinngås fed on the snow-free patches of grass. On the shore a few pairs of Oystercatcher tjeld and Black-headed Gulls hettemåke were setting up territory.


Goldeneye kvinand

Lesser Black-backed Gull sildemåke

Oystercatcher tjeld

On 22 March a flock of Pinkfeet kortnebbgås flew north over the flat during the morning and in the evening a nice adult female Goshawk hønsehauk posed nicely in the evening as the light was going.


Goshawk hønsehauk

I took the first boat out to Gressholmen on 23 March. Although still feeling a bit on the wintery side there was plenty to see including a Great-crested Grebe toppdykker on the sea, a couple of Stock Dove skogdue, two flocks of Pinkfeet kortnebbgås, four Whooper Swans sangsvane heading north, migrating Skylarks sanglerke and lots of local breeders back on the island including singing Chaffinches bokfink, displaying Shelduck gravand and Oystercatcher tjeld

A Green Woodpecker grønnspett was vocal and seen briefly from the boat on Bleikøya.

No comments: