Monday, May 29, 2023

Herdlevær and Tjeldstø 29 May 2023 - Weather works again:)

Today it was overcast and raining so I opted to not go seawatching. Just my usual round at Herdlevær but without the scope - this produced a few nice observations: an adult Black-headed Gull hettemåke feeding in the fields, Redshank rødstilk acting like it might be trying to breed there, ditto for Ringed Plover sandlo (late arrival or have I just been missing them on previous visits?), a few Whimbrel småspove grounded by the weather and most of the usual suspects including a White-tailed Eagle havørn flying over and two singing Lesser Whitethroats møller.

On my way home I stopped briefly at Tjeldstø, almost the first thing I heard was calling Black-tailed Godwit svarthalespove and two dropped out of the sky, fed for a few minutes and then carried on their way. Not an easy species to see in Øygarden, though spending time at Tjeldstø in the spring does increase chances. One was seen briefly at Tjeldstø on 18th May.

All photos massively cropped using my point and pray. Really need to get back into digiscoping - looked a lot better in the scope:)




Black-tailed Godwits svarthalespove at Tjeldstø

In the evening a male Goosander laksand flew over the terrace - a highly unpredictable species in Øygarden and a new for the garden list:)

No comments: