Monday, October 02, 2023

Øygarden 22-26 September 2023 - Catching up

Typically whilst I was away a new species for Øygarden was found by Eirk A (he has a knack for this kind of thing) in the form of a Woodchat Shrike rødhodevarsler. I had no expectations of catching up with it and assumed it would be long gone before I returned. This time it stayed and I saw the bird in the same place it was found at Herdlevær on 23rd September. Nice one!


Woodchat Shrike rødhodevarsler at Herdlevær

On the way home from this I met the gang from town at Husvatnet where they had found a female Pintail stjertand - a nice bonus. Grey Plover tundralo and Peregrine vandrefalk from the terrace after I got home were not too shabby either.

The next day it was a couple of hours  seawatching at Skogsøy where highlights were 76 Barnacle Geese hvitkinngås heading south (and a flock of 7 flying north), a couple of Brent Geese ringgås (also heading north) and four Velvet Scoter sjøorre heading south. Mostly various species of gull on the move. Also worth mentioning were the first Snow Buntings snøspurv of the autumn with two close to the lookout point as I arrived.

Barnacle Geese hvitkinngås

Common Hawker starrlibelle at Skogsøy

Gannet havsule

Kittiwake krykkje

The Pintail stjertand remained at Tjeldstø. Back home several Red-throated Diver smålom and a Kestrel tårnfalk were the best birds from my terrace.

Pintail stjertand at Husvatnet

On 25th I was only out very briefly, a quick look over the fjord at Tjeldstø produced a flock of three Grey Plover tundralo and 25 Brent Geese ringgås flying south. A first year Black Guillemot teist was at Skjoldpollen on my way home - no doubt forced inshore by the stormy conditions.





First year Black Guillemot teist

A quick walk at Herdlevær on 26th was rather quiet with just a small selection of waders including a Bar-tailed Godwit lappspove. Peregrine vandrefalk and Red-throated Diver smålom from the terrace again.

No comments: