Thursday, February 29, 2024

Øygarden 23-25 Febraury 2024 - Spring continues

On 23.02 I wasn't really out but picked up two Waxwing sidensvans heading south past my terrace - an unusual time of year to see this species around here as they are normally mostly seen during the late autumn.

On Saturday I covered a number of localities. At Herdlevær 20+ Starling stær were the first new arrivals of the year - there have been fewer around this winter and this is the biggest flock thus far. Also a few Skylark sanglerke flying over and a Red-throated Diver smålom on the sea.

A Goshawk hønsehauk put in an appearance at Tjeldstø where a few Bullfinch dompap were the first I'd seen there this year and Greylag grågås numbers now obviously increasing. 

A Wren gjerdesmett in my garden was the first I've seen for some time - great to know the winter didn't kill them all off:)

At Hatten a couple of Brambling bjørkefink were the first I've seen this year but have probably been around for quite some time.

Finally a look at Sæle produced a Grey Seal havert, Great Northern Diver islom, Black Guillemot teist, a few Velvet Scoter sjøorre and the usual.

Grey Seal havert feeding at Sæle


The following day I took things easy checking Dåvøy and Breivik without anything much of interest. A couple of White-tailed Eagles havørn gave nice views through.




White-tailed Eagles havørn




No comments: