Friday, May 31, 2024

Skogsøy and Herdlevær 25-26 May 2024 - Orca and second wave of Barnacles

On the morning of 25 May I did some seawatching at Skogsøy.

On the way there I sighted the neck ringed Greylag grågås UK09 again, seemingly with a flock of non-breeding birds.

Skogsøy was rather quiet in the very light northerly winds. Highlights were a lone male Orca spekkhogger heading south - an absolutely massive beast with a huge dorsal fin. I sat from 0630 to 1030 but gave up to press on with house stuff.

Small numbers of Red-throated Diver smålom and most  of the usual stuff passed. Highlight was a flock of 53 Barnacle Geese hvitkinngås and a 2cy Great Northern Diver islom heading north (only picked up on the sound of its wingbeats as it passed overhead!). On my way back to the car another good flock of Barnacles heading north over land.



The second wave of Barnacle geese hvitkonngås heading north

Common Scoter svartand - never can figure out what these are doing migration-wise



Third year White-tailed Eagle havørn at Tjeldstø

A brief stop at Tjeldstø on the way home produced the usual selection of breeding waders and nice views of another White-tailed Eagle havørn.

The next day I did my usual round at Herdlevær where a 2cy Great Northern Diver islom on the sea was probably the best bird. A few Lapwing vipe mobbed a White-tailed Eagle havørn on the island to the north - it has been some years since Lapwing bred at Herdlevær but just maybe they are not too far away. Once again I had to cut the birding short in order to work on the house & garden.

Recently fledged Fieldfare gråtrost - it made enough noise to attract attention but knew enough to sit perfectly still as I tried to locate what was making the noise.


2cy Great Northern Diver islom




My plans to spend some time with my scope at Tjeldstø on the way home were cut short by a pair of agitated Redshank rødstilk - obviously with a nest or young so I quickly retreated. Unfortunately this location is used for fishing and swimming so I just hope these birds get a move on with their young....


No comments: