Sunday, October 04, 2026

Øygarden 28.09-02.10.2026 - New species for the house list / the Nutcrackers are here

A most frustrating week: conditions were perfect and I have full time job. I say it every year but I really have to book holiday for the last week in September....

I managed anything between half an hour and an hour or so out and about with more summer than we had in the summer, easterly winds and so on.

On 28th I managed to spend 15 minutes at Tjeldstø and half an hour an Sæle. Tjeldstø gave a few White-tailed Eagles havørn, a Sparrowhawk spurvehauk and a Wheatear steinskvett along with the usual Wigeon brunnakke and so on.

Sæle was full of birds but nothing remarkable, just a female Blackcap munk, several Chiff-chaff gransanger and four Common Crossbill grankorsnebb.

Sparrowhawk spurvehauk

Male Wheatear steinskvett

On Tuesday 29th it was almost wall to wall Teams meetings and frustratingly I received a call from Bjørnar saying he had found what we had been expecting - a Nutrcracker nøttekråke. I've seen plenty this year, just not here at home where it is something of a rarity. Having suffered through a meeting or two I finally made it out and heard Nutcracker at close range without seeing it. I sat down to wait and soon heard a more distant call and scanning over the treetops I found two gaining height rapidly and heading north.

As this was really a trip to the shop I also stopped very quickly at Husvatnet where a late Lapwing vipe was present.

The photo that could have been something had I not knocked a button on my camera and screwed up the settings. Same thing happened with the Nutcrackers...

After this breif foray out it was back to barracks. Three minutes on the terrace during a break whilst making dinner I picked up a Stonechat svartstrupe. Luckily the bird stayed and a post dinner stroll with my better half and NBB junior #1 provided a photo opportunity.

Stonechat svartstrupe at Nautnes

The next day I found out my "good dad rewards" don't just apply to my daughters. There is also a similar concept called "good boyfriend rewards" where bird karma also kicks in. So, to save my better half some transport time, I offered to drive her half an hour to a bus stop with some more connections to civilisation. This resulted in a Common Buzzard musvåk on the way south and a lovely Grey-headed Woodpecker gråspett on the way home:)

Grey-headed Woodpecker gråspett at Sture

Back home I had Jay notteskrike in the garden along with the much commoner White-tailed Eagles havørn.





No comments: