Saturday, October 01, 2016

Øygarden 25-30 September - Broken Dreams

A few weeks ago I knew I was going to be at home in Øygarden and had high hopes of plenty of time in the field at this exciting time of year. How naïve I was! I have struggled to get out at all....most depressing - that'll teach me to have any optimism. Work must take most, but not all, of the blame - if it's not one thing its another.

Once again thoughts of golf or alcoholism seem tempting.



Gannets havsule at various places during the week

Part of the Heron gråhegre roost at Dåvøy

View to the north at Skogsøy on the evening of 30th September - a few hours AFTER the wind had started to abate,


On the up side White-tailed Eagles havørn have been more obvious with multiple daily sightings pretty much eveywhere - including from the house where I spend most of the time.

It has been a week of strong winds but I have only managed very short and sporadic seawatches.  A lot of the time the wind has been too strong for most stuff to fly in and too strong to seawatch in. Gannets havsule have been plentiful on both the sea and fjord sides of Øygarden.

A brief look at Herdlevær on 26th produced at least three Yellow-browed Warbler gulbrynsanger, a Lesser Whitethroat møller, Chiff-chaff gransanger and Willow Warbler løvsanger along with increased numbers of thrushes. A Jay nøtteskrike during a drive-by at Tjeldstø was another bird of note.

A lateish Greenshank gluttsnipe from my terrace at Nautnes was the best bird that day. A drive-by at Dåvøy showed that the Heron gråhegre roost there was already up to over 20 birds.

A lightening attempt at seawatching from Herdlevær on 29th produced little of interest over the sea in the short time I spent there. However, I did pick up a Jack Snipe kvartbekkasin and a Merlin dvergfalk blasted past on the gale force winds,

I literally ran out to Skogsøy for a one hour seawatch on 30th. Mostly just Gannets havsule in the strong onshore winds. Other stuff included a Kittiwake krykkje and small numbers of Red-throated Diver smålom.

Still plenty of Swallows låvesvale and smaller numbers of other migrants around - including Wheatear steinskvett.




No comments: