Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Øygarden 21-22 March 2017 - Considering giving up again

Mostly sunny but with some wintery showers

On 21 March another new for the year turned up at Nautnes - Song Thrush måltrost.




Displaying Rock Pipits skjærpiplerke

Later in the day I had a quick walk at Hjelme Vest and a drive-by at Sæle. Hjelme Vest produced rather little other than a flock of at least 22 Purple Sandpipers fjæreplytt. Virtually no duck at all, just a few Gannet havsule, a pair of Rock Pipit skjærpiplerke displaying very actively and a single White-tailed Eagle havørn.

The Rock Pipits skjærpiplerke struck me as rather different to the obvious recent migrants at Tjeldstø. The local breeders seem to be more like the typical birds in the UK - being rather browner and duller as opposed to the migrants which are more slaty grey on the back and peachy on the breast. I wonder where these migrants really come from / are on the way to....

Nuthatch spettmeis

Sæle produced the best bird in an Øygarden context with a singing Nuthatch spettmeis. However, the best bird from my point of view was a Woodcock rugde roding over the house in the evening.

On 22 March I did the "short round" at Tjeldstø - the only bird of note was the Scaup bergand still present on Rotevatnet. My timing was bad here with a snow shower starting shortly after I arrived.

No comments: