Monday, August 13, 2018

Skogsøy 12 August 2018 - Somewhat predictably......

Calm.

The view at 08:00

Once again I made it out just in time. Just as I was about to take my rucksack off two terns came past with a small flock of Common Gulls fiskemåke. I raised my binoculars, realised immediately that they were Sandwich Terns splitterne - a rare (but probably under recorded) species here in Øygarden / Hordaland. I frantically unpacked my camera and fired off a few shots - but settings had changed and at F22 the shutter speed let me down a bit....


Record shots of Sandwich Terns spiltterne

Part of a Shag toppskarv flock

Young Wren gjerdesmett

After that it was rather downhill but still a lot more migration than the last couple of days. A steady passage of Common Gull fiskemåke, several flocks of Oystercatcher tjeld and a decent movement of Shags toppskarv made up the numbers.  Quality birds were the first (for me) Red-throated Diver smålom of the autumn, an Arctic Skua tyvjo and a Sanderling sandløper.

I glimpsed some fins which looked very dolphin-like but never refound them. However, a tuna or two put in a typically splashy appearance whilst I searched.

On my way home I saw what looked very much like a Hobby lerkefalk and went out looking for it later but found only several White-tailed Eagle havørn and decent numbers of finches included a flock of 20 Twite bergirisk and several Brambling bjørkefink.

No comments: