Sunday, August 05, 2018

Øygarden 30 July - 02 August - No time for tringas

Late July / Early August is the best time for Green Sandpiper skogsnipe in Øygarden but I didn't find time to get out and look for them. However, roadside birds enabled me to pick them up as drive-bys on the way to and from work. I had up to four on 02 August.


Curlew storspove at Tjeldstø

Green Sandpiper skogsnipe, Hatten

Grey Heron gråhegre

Twite bergirisk

Others had more luck with Wood Sandpiper grønnstilk but I only picked up one - on the same pools as the Green Sands showed up on.

Other stuff included the long-staying Pinkfoot kortnebbgås at Tjeldstø, small flocks of Twite bergirisk here and there along with most of the usual suspects.

Breakfast at Herdlevær on 30th July produced a selection of the usual waders including 17 Knot polarsnipe, a Greenshank gluttsnipe, several Golden Plover heilo and eight Common Sandpiper strandsnipe. Small numbers of Velvet Scoter sjøorre and Common Scoter svartand passed during the 15 minutes I spent eating.

A couple of early Brambling bjørkefink put in an appearance by my postbox at Nautnes on 02 August. Maybe they are breeding closer than I thought they were....

No comments: