Saturday, February 23, 2019

Tjeldstø 23 February 2019 - A new species for Tjeldstø!

Strong southerly wind but mild and dry.




I did no birding today other than a quick stop a Tjeldstø on my way home from various errands. Highlight was a new species for Tjeldstø - Mute Swan knoppsvane! Four second year birds fed there and represent only the fifth record of this species for Øygarden. Not the most exciting of "rarities" but a very nice record indeed and takes the species list at Tjeldstø up to 212.



VJ3 is back and strutting his stuff again. He bred here last year and looks to be intent on doing the same this season. 

The first Mistle Thrush duetrost of the spring

There was plenty of other interest including a Mistle Thrush duetrost feeding in the fields (this seems to be the earliest ever in Øygarden), my first local Tufted Duck toppand of the year and plenty of Greylags grågås - a species that arrived the day after I left Øygarden last week....One of these birds was neck ringed and was a bird I first saw last spring at the same locality. I checked it out on geese.org and very interestingly this bird was observed in Holland back on  20 January this year. It was first seen at Tjeldstø on 21.02.


A rare sight this winter - a young Whooper sangsvane accompanying its parents. Thus far this winter there have only been adults in Øygarden. Not an encouraging sign. Note the female Tufted Duck toppand to the left in the bottom picture.

There were also quite a few Whoopers sangsvane about - including the first immature bird I have seen in Øygarden this winter.

Working on various things outside my house I had the usual White-tailed Eagle havørn and a flyover Skylark sanglerke in addition to the usual stuff at the feeders.

No comments: