Sunday, February 10, 2019

Øygarden 02.02 - 10.02 - Thaw and seabirds starting to move...

All kinds of stuff rather than just work stopping me getting out and about for the time being. I am very lucky that I can just step out onto my terrace and still be in with a fair chance of seeing something of interest.

On Saturday 02.02 I took a VERY nice family walk out to Skogsøy under cracking conditions. Birding was not a priority but a pair of very vocal Guillemots lomvi on the sea along with a at least two Black Guillemots teist and an adult Great Northern Diver islom feeding there too meant it wasn't too birdless.

Part of a Whooper Swan sangsvane flock coming in to land at Skogsøy - the thaw had started and these birds were obviously looking for their preferred haunts.

Back home the first House Sparrow gråspurv of the year visited my feeders.

One of a number of Woodcock rugde this week - this one at the end of my driveway and photographed from my car window whilst on my way to the shops.


Otherwise it was week of more Woodcock rugde, Snipe enkeltbekassin and a small arrival of Redwing rødvingetrost.

White-tailed Eagle havørn very obvious pretty much everywhere with three seen most days from the terrace. Peregrine vandrefalk and Sparrowhawk spurvehauk were the only other raptors seen. Up to three Curlew storspove also regular from the terrace.

On 10.02 it was time for another walk at Skogsøy. An hour of seawatching in fresh northerly winds showed that stuff was on the move with well over 30 Gannets havsule heading north along with several Kittiwake krykkje and a few Guillemots lomvi - spring is definitely on the way.

Probably the best sighting of the week was the first Water Rail vannrikse of the year.

The end of a Grey Seal havert at Alvheim.

Mammal wise Otters are continuing to show well all over the place, but mostly right in front of my house where I also saw at least six Porpoises nise on 07.02. On the same day one dead Grey Seal havert at Alvheim (not sure if it was hunted, died in fishing gear or something else) and another still in the best of health at the same place.


No comments: