Monday, October 05, 2026

Skogsøy and Breivik 03.10.2026 - Let the games commence

Strictly speaking not holiday, just the weekend. But this is the start of a week in the field:)

In strong SW winds I started the the day at Skogsøy with a couple of hours of seawatching. This turned out pretty well with a Grey Phalarope polarsvømmesnipe heading south, four Black-tailed Godwits svarthalespove heading the same way, the first Barnacle Geese hvitkinngås of the autumn and plenty more:)

Razorbills alke heading south



On the way home I stopped at Breivik. The first bird I heard as I got out of the car was a Richard's Pipit tartarpiplerke:) This was closely followed by 130 Meadow Pipits heipiplerke, a Teal krikkand, two Jack Snipe kvartbekkasin and more. Result!



One of two Jack Snipe kvartbekkasin seen and photographed today

Richard's Pipit tartarpiplerke

A stop at Tjeldstø on the way home was a bit of a miss but there were over 30 Wigeon brunnakke (a good number for these parts), a couple of White-tailed Eagles havørn and some Godlfinch stillits.

Before heading home I visited Sæle where a Wryneck vendehals was recently reported. No sign of this but I did connect with a Garden Warbler hagesanger.

Garden Warbler hagesanger
My camera is too old to have eye focus and that kind of thing. I wonder how a more modern camera would have dealt with the elderberry that looks like an eye and managed to confuse the autofocus on my out of date camera,


No comments: