Saturday, April 25, 2015

Gullfjell 23 April 2015 - Out of Øygarden

I don't often post on anything outside Øygarden but today errands took me into town and I took the opportunity to visit my old stomping grounds in Gullfjell - partly as recon for some upcoming guiding tours and partly because it has been far too long since I was there. It was a fantastic morning out - but lots of snow at low altitude.



Ptarmigan fjellrype



The large amount of snow still on the lower slopes may be the explanation for seeing Ptarmigan fjellrype so low down. It is not often in my hundreds of walks here that I have seen this species below Redningshytten.

Svartevatnet

Redningshytten

The newly heightened dam

It was a relief to see that work on raising the dam is complete - looks like they have done a good job there.

Dipper fossekall

Goosander laksand

White Wagtail linerle


I picked up all the expected species including Ptarmigan fjellrype, lekking Black Grouse orrfugl, Rough-legged Buzzard fjellvåk and Ring Ousel ringtrost. Dipper fossekall were very obvious and many of the migrants had returned.

Best birds in a Gullfjell context were a Goodander laksand on Osavatnet and a Teal krikkand on Kurlatjern.

No comments: