Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Øygarden 19-23 July 2019 - Soon back in business

The pace has slowed somewhat though not quite to the extent that there is much time to be out and about. Soon though, soon.

An abortive trip to Skogsøy on 22 July proved both promising and disastarous. Birdwise things started well with a pale phase Arctic Skua tyvjo as the first bird, a few Puffins lunde passed and there was a steady movement of Common Gulls fiskemåke with 80 passing in 40 minutes. Autumn migration well underway🙂

Then it started raining. Not an issue I thought and went for my coat that WAS NOT IN MY RUCKSACK. Rookie error.....

Other nice sightings have been more incidental with a hunting Merlin dvergfalk giving hope that the species is hanging on as a breeder.

Hunting Merlin dvergfalk

Random Arctic Skua tyvjo shot taken from my terrace

Watching Common Terns makrellterne fishing from my terrace on 23 July whilst drikking my morning coffee was quite eventful as suddenly there was an Arctic Skua tyvjo beating up the terns.

Tame Herring Gull gråmåke on my terrace 

No comments: