Friday, May 05, 2017

Øygarden 05 May 2017 - Tjeldstø 1, Herdlevær 1/2

Yet another calm, warm and sunny day.

A quick seawatch at Herdlevær whilst eating breakfast and spending much of the time on the phone showed that there were probably more divers passing today than the last few days - 14 Red-throated Diver smålom passed in the hour I sat there - well before the peak time of day. A single Velvet Scoter sjøorre accompanied one of them,

A Carrion Crow svartkråke was the best bird here and a Common Sandpiper strandsnipe was the first of the year for me.

Great Egret egretthegre
 The bird flew several times, making me think it was going to leave but it did not move far whilst I was there.

Lapwing vipe are scary.....

Meeting the local Grey Herons gråhegre




After doing the shopping I stopped at Husvatnet where I thought I had found a Great Egret egretthegre - until I changed location in order to obtain some record shots. There I met Mr. Adolfsen who had sent me a text message about it. Note to self: GOT TO PAY ATTENTION TO MESSAGES ON MY "BIRD" PHONE. This is the second message in a week about a good bird that I haven't noticed.....

Lesser Redpoll brunsisik - one of the commonest passerines in Øygarden. Picture taken at Nautnes

Lots of Wheatear steinskvett about. This smart male was photographed at Nautnes


After sorting out some work stuff it was time to continue painting the house. This is not an interesting activity but at least I painted with a singing Wryneck vendehals for company.

Greylag grågås with newly hatched chicks

One of the singing Wryneck vendelhals at Hjelmo

A very short walk at Hjelmo in the evening produced at least two more Wryneck vendehals and the first Greylag grågås goslings of the year.


No comments: