Saturday, May 30, 2015

Herdlevær 30 May 2015 - Dead Fulmar

Light WNW wind, sunny.

A walk at Herdlevær didn't produce that much but proved to be great fun as my youngest and I honed our climbing skills up and down the cliffs. A dead bird was located floating offshore but obviously coming closer - we attempted to predict where it would come ashore but the vagaries of wind, current and the cliffs made things a bit tricky. In the end we managed to bag this dead Fulmar havhest after a goose-chase along the entire west coast of the island.



At Tjeldstø the only birds of note were a couple of Black-headed Gulls hettemåke and a female Teal krikkand with three very young chicks - first of the year.

Back at Nautnes I stood on my terrace for a few minutes with a can of beer and photographed this Common Tern makrellterne fishing. I have to say I have an amazing house,,,,,


Common Tern makrellterne fishing at Nautnes



This image illustrates one of the golden rules of bird photography very well:
If the images is crystal sharp  and otherwise well exposed then there will be a wing-tip missing!

No comments: