Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Tjeldstø/Nautnes 17 January - Best bird from the house again

Fresh southerly with light rain most of the day.

Work prevented any proper trip today but a short walk at Tjeldstø produced a Woodcock rugde, a couple of Snipe enkeltbekkasin and the first Starlings stær I'v seen this year.


Snipe enkeltbekkasin at Sture

A drive-by past Sture on the way home produced a roadside Snipe enkeltbekkasin - probably one of the birds seen there yesterday.


Little Auk alkekonge from the terrace, light was going so very ISO values used

An Otter swam past whilst I waited for the auk to surface

Back home I knuckled down to work but during a telephone call stood up and looked out of the window and saw something swimming on the sea. It dived before I could reach bins or camera, as luck would have it my camera was closest. Whilst I was waiting for it to resurface an Otter turned up. Back on the surface I could confirm it was a Little Auk alkekonge -.and managed to take a couple of pictures before it dived. Amazingly this is only third Little Auk alkekonge reported in the county thus far this year - they really are thin on the ground this winter!

No comments: