Monday, September 12, 2016

Skogsøy 12 September 2016 - Seawatching at last

Near gale force southerly winds but sunny with it.

I FINALLY managed to squeeze in a couple of hours seawatching between other stuff like taking the youngest to the dentists. The day started well with a fly over Grey Wagtail vintererle as I put the dog in the car - the first I've had locally this year.

The conditions were mildly put challenging today with the strong winds shaking the scope. In addition I was looking out to sea with the scope rather than just scanning with binoculars as normally do. It seemed every time I looked down below me I was just about missing a flock of waders.

Bar-tailed Godwit lappspove



2cy (or possibly a very early moulting adult) Black-throated Diver storlom
 The rounded head, lack of half-collar, bill size (and the way it is held) and the white flanks point towards this species.

Two Curlew Sandpipers tundrasnipe with a Ringed Plover sandlo in the middle

Dunlin myrsnipe

Gannet havsule

Two Golden Plover heilo (left) with two Knot polarsnipe

Ringed Plover sandlo and Sanderling sandløper

Sanderling sandløper

Turnstone steinvender

Turnstone steinvender with Knot polarsnipe

There were plenty of waders passing including my first Curlew Sandpipers tundrasnipe and Grey Plover tundralo of the year in Øygarden. Ringed Plover sandlo, Sanderling sandløper, Turnstone steinvender and Knot polarsnipe were the most numerous waders but there were also several Bar-tailed Godwits lappspove among other things.

A diver came by relatively close - to me this looked like a second year Black-throated Diver storlom.

No comments: