Sunday, May 07, 2017

Tjeldstø 07 May 2017 - Dawn Chorous and then some

Light northerly breeze, gradually strengthening to strong breeze / gale.

Dawn birding at Tjeldstø

Pre-dawn White-tailed Eagle havørn being mobbed by a Raven ravn


The dawn chorous went pretty well bird wise, with at least 45 species seen or heard from where we were sitting. Roding Woodcock rugde, drumming Snipe enkeltbekkasin, the first Cuckoo gjøk of the year along with most of the usual suspects. Waders included a Black-tailed Godwit svarthalespove flushed by a White-tailed Eagle havørn that buzzed the area along with the local breeders (Curlew storspove, Redshanks rødstilk, Lapwing vipe, Common Sandpiper strandsnipe and Oystercatcher tjeld). The first Common Tern makrellterne of the year also put in an appearance.

Back at Nautnes I took the dog out and had a Lapland Bunting lappspurv come in off the sea. I followed this up with a very rare activity - seawatching from the house. Normally it is just work, housework or other daily drudgery but today I sat on my terrace for a whole hour with my scope(!). The birds were pouring past!

A new species for the house list (embarrassing really considering I could have got this one any given spring) were two White-billed Diver gulnebblom. I also had two probable Pomarine Skua polarjo but won't be claiming these. Good numbers of Long-tailed Duck havelle, a Velvet Scoter sjøorre, a small flock of Whimrel småspove and a Comic Tern (rødnebb/makrellterne) were among the other birds seen.

AND I completed my tax-return - quite possibly the highlight of the day, just for the relief of getting off my mind. 

No comments: