Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Øygarden 24 January 2018 - Plugging some gaps

Gale force SW winds, rain at times but with some sunny spells after I got home.

Overnight the snow was gone and the thaw has obviously given the thrushes a break - although I still found a dead Fieldfare gråtrost during my brief foray out of the car. Too little too late for this one too.

I was just about out yesterday with just a Great Northern Diver islom at Solberg of any note. Today wasn't much better as I needed to get some work done.

Given the conditions I did a few targeted drive-bys in an attempt to get a few new species for the Øygarden year list. Of minimal interest one of these target species was Collared Dove tyrkerdue. There is a small resident population out here that I almost never check out. Away from the regular site this is a good species to see out here - largely as a late spring / early summer migrant. It is a hopelessly under-recorded species out here.


Two of today's Collared Doves tyrkerdue


Today there were four Collared Dove tykerdue present along with a couple of Nuthatch spettmeis and a small flock of Siskin grønnsisik.

Another new for the year for me locally was a female Tufted Duck toppand on Stegeviksvatn.

Part of the albifrons Whitefront tundragås flock at Harkestad

By far the best sighting today was a flock of eight albifrons Whitefronts tundragås at Harkestad. I had to use ISO values I didn't even know I had to get anything resembling a photograph.

Back home the Mealy Redpoll gråsisik flock remained in the garden and a couple of White-tailed Eagles havørn put in an appearance.

No comments: