Friday, August 16, 2019

Skogsøy 16 August 2019 - Late start wader migration

Light WSW winds but with a heavy swell coming in from somewhere else.

I just couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning and didn't get up until 0640. This was a mistake.

There was obviously quite a bit on the move and I assume I missed the best bit that normally occurs around dawn...

I had to make do with over 400 Oystercatcher tjeld, 195 Common Gull fiskemåke, 60 Great Black backed Gulls svartbak, 30 Turnstone steinvender, 16 Knot polarsnipe, 4 Curlew storspove and several Lesser Black-backed Gulls sildemåke heading south. Over 40 Gannets havsule went north along with a single flock of Knot polarsnipe.

The walk in and out produced Sparrowhawk spurvehauk, Ruff brushane and Greenshank gluttsnipe in addition to the usual Crested Tits toppmeis etc.

After a bit of work at home I checked out Tjeldstø but there was little other than a White-tailed Eagle havørn and a couple of Greenshank gluttsnipe present.

No comments: