Saturday, January 18, 2020

Øygarden 11-18 January 2020 - Back to work

Much less time out and about this week as work required some attention.

The first Dipper fossekall of the year turned up at Husvatnet on 14 January.

Other than that there was not much of note before 17 January when I birded an area I rarely cover. I had a couple of species in mind, neither of which showed and neither would have required a telescope.

Record shot of four Turnstone steinvender together with a Purple Sandpiper fjæreplytt

However, a feeding flock of gulls definitely required a scope and will need to be checked at the first opportunity. Among the Herring Gull gråmåke dominated flock a single Black-headed Gull hettemåke and a few Common Gulls fiskemåke were both new for me in Øygarden this year. The best sighting was a flock of four Turnstone steinvender resting on a nearby rock along with around 15 Purple Sandpipers fjæreplytt.

On my way back to the car the first local Woodpigeon ringdue of the year flew over.

Mistle Thrush duetrost

White-tailed Eagle havørn over the house - I actually took this picture only because I was carrying my camera from the car into the house when it flew over.


On 18 January I quickly refound the Mistle Thrush duetrost that was reported there yesterday - the first ever January record for the area despite there being a couple of historical December sightings.

Another Mute Swan knoppsvane turned up on 18 January to join the two long staying birds on Husvatnet.

Still plenty of finch flocks about - Brambling bjørkefink have been the most numerous to date but on 18 January a flock of 30 Chaffinch bokfink showed up - a very good midwinter flock around here.

No comments: