Thursday, November 19, 2020

Herdlevær 16 November 2020 - LITTLE GULLS!!

 A great morning out in relatively calm and mild conditions.

Started off at Herdlevær with my usual round. Before I sat down for coffee and breakfast I had already picked up Slavonian Grebe horndykker, Black-throated Diver storlom, Red-throated Diver smålom and more.

Black-throated Diver storlom

Cormorant storskarv with ring - I would love to know where this bird came from!


Above two: Adult Little Gull dvergmåke


Above two: 1cy Little Gull dvergmåke

Slavonian Grebe horndykker

As usual during my coffee stop I kept my eye on the sea where there was a steady passage of Kittiwakes krykkje, Herring Gulls gråmåke and Common Gulls fiskemåke. Suddenly an adult Little Gull dvergmåke came into view, I fumbled for my camera hoping to get some record shots but was not sure I managed it until later. Frantically rescanning the sea to try and refind it I found a first year Little Gull and began to question my eyes/sanity for getting things so wrong but after a minute or so they teamed up and I saw them together:) First record this year for both Øygarden and the "county".

The way home also proved successful with a Hawfinch kjernebiter at Tjeldstø along with a flock of 19 Greylags grågås - I'm presuming these late birds are probably from Iceland.

No comments: