Friday, April 30, 2021

Hernar & Skogsøy 29-30 April 2021 - Suddenly Spring!

 Having been away for a couple of weeks I returned to find spring had really taken off.

On the evening of the 28th I had my first local Dunnock jernspurv at Tjeldstø as I did my shopping and a Swallow låvesvale flew over my house when I got home.

Before I left the house the following morning Chiff-chaff gransanger was singing nearby. 

The rest of the morning was spent on Hernar where many of the local breeders had returned including Swallow låvesvale, Wheatears steinskvett, Twite bergirisk, Linnet tornirisk, Chiff-chaff gransanger, Willow Warbler løvsanger and more.


Newly returned Swallows låvesvale

One of several Wheatear steinskvett on Hernar

A Golden Plover heilo, a few Redshank rødstilk and a couple more Swallow låvesvale were seen at Husvatnet later in the day.

Somewhat predictably I was up bright and early for some seawatching at Skogsøy on 30 April. Light SE winds meant that despite the date it was not a big day for divers with just seven White-billed Diver gulnebblom (all but one adults) and a low count of just 42 Red-throated Diver smålom, a Great Skua storjo was another new for the year and there was a steady passage of other species throughout the 5.5 hours or so I sat out there.

Most of the Cormorant storskarv passing now are non-breeders like this one

Gannet havsule

Red-throated Diver smålom

Shags toppskarv

My first White-billed Diver gulnebblom of the season (05:47)

White-billed Diver gulnebblom

A White-tailed Eagle havørn went a fair way out to sea low over the waves to attack a Gannet havsule sitting on the surface. The Gannet promptly threw up the last fish it had caught, the eagle picked it up and headed back into shore with the minimum of effort and drama.

No comments: