Friday, March 04, 2022

Northern Øygarden 27.02- 04.03 - Spring is springing

 After a lovely week back on the old home turf it was back to the grindstone.

Sunday 27 February was largely spent trying to catch up on the effects of a week away. Nevertheless increased numbers of Greylags grågås noted. Curlew storspove (overwintering bird rather than a migrant), a few White-tailed Eagles havørn and an Otter seen from the terrace.

Monday 28 February, a day of very strong southerly gales was largely spent at working from home. Just the usual eagles, otter etc. I popped in at Dåvøy during a trip to the shops and picked up a 2cy colour ringed Herring Gull gråmåke from Fedje that I saw earlier in the winter as well as the Yellow-legged Gull gulbeinmåke and 51 Grey Heron gråhegre - largest count of the year so far:)

Some of the >50 Grey Heron gråhegre at Dåvøy

J9118 - all the way from Fedje (the next island to the north of Øygarden)

YLG gulbeinmåke



Home office birding isn't too shabby:)

On my way home I got a call about a Little Grebe dvergdykker at Hellesøy - no doubt the same bird I saw there in early January. I sped past my house on the way north for a quick look:)



Little Grebe dvergdykker at Hellesøy

On 01 March I had an appointment in town to renew my residence permit - thanks for that Brexit😡 

However, the day was not totally ruined, the first returning Oystercatcher tjeld of the year turned up on the shore outside my house and the first Lapwing vipe of the year were seen in a roadside field at Blomvåg as I drove into Bergen. They were gone when I stopped to look on the way home.

My usual round at Herdlevær early in the morning on 02 March gave reasonable results with a light passage of Oystercatcher tjeld heading north, the first local Skylarks sanglerke of the year and a good selection of other stuff. On my way to Herdlevær the first Teal krikkand of the year showed up on Husvatnet, Tjeldstø where Greylag grågås numbers continued to increase (now into double figures). More Skylark sanglerke from my terrace on my return and a trip to the shop in the evening produced a couple of roding Woodcock rugde near Alvheim along with some birdsong:)

Another calm and sunny day on 03 March predictably had me heading off to Hernar with high hopes. Best bird here was a distant White-billed Diver gulnebblom on the sea, the most surprising find were the remains of a Stock Dove skogdue taken by a predator. A couple of Skylark sanglerke paused to feed on the island whilst other migration action consisited largely of small flocks of Siskin grønnsisik heading south. Over 30 species noted included most of the usual suspects like Black Guillemot teist, Curlew storspove, some newly returned Oystercatcher tjeld and White-tailed Eagles havørn

The largest flock of Long-tailed Duck havelle seen on 03 March.


A failed attempt to get my COVID booster on 04 March took up what free time I had. My terrace still produced a few sightings of interest with flocks of Redpoll gråsisik and Siskin grønnsisik heading south just after dawn, a couple of Guillemot lomvi on the sea, the Curlew storspove that has been omnipresent for some days and of course the usual White-tailed Eagle havørn.


Guillemots lomvi photographed from my terrace


No comments: