Saturday, April 23, 2022

Kollsnes/Tjeldstø 19 April 2022 - Off comms / Out of Øygarden

 Had a lovely walk in Gullfjell with my youngest. Still a lot of snow but possible to get up to Redninghytten on foot:)

Not much in the way of birding there but a Ptarmigan fjellrype was new for the year and it was nice to see Dippers fossekall too. Otherwise some migrants had returned here too - mostly Dunnock jernspurv, Meadow Pipit heipiplerke and White wagtail linerle. No telephone coverage meant all kinds of grief for bird news and a family issue that came up.

Heavily cropped Ptarmigan fjellrype

On my way out of Øygarden (never safe to leave) I received a tip off regarding five Crane trane that had landed at Kollsnes. Magic. If memory serves correctly this is the biggest flock of Cranes ever in Øygarden:)

Crane trane at Kollsnes

Whilst in the mountains not only did I have no coverage but my phone died too. Bliss in some ways but I missed news of a Great Egret egretthegre that turned up at Tjeldstø. Luckily it was still present in the evening on my return. I only tool pictures of this notorious short-stayer at very long range as I knew others would be on their way.


Great Egret egretthegre at Tjeldstø


No comments: