Tuesday, May 03, 2022

Tjeldstø 02 May 2022- Taking the day off / VJ is back

 Wind more from the west in the morning with some much needed drizzle/rain showers.

Took the day off and got some work out of the way:)

Despite that I still clocked up a couple of new species for the year - a singing Lesser Whitethroat møller close to the shop at Tjeldstø and several Arctic Terns rødnebbterne heading north past the terrace.

Other sightings included the usual breeding waders, White-tailed Eagle havørn, a resting Golden Plover heilo at Tjeldstø and a Black-headed Gull hettemåke at Breivik.

However, the best sighting today was something of a relief - VJ3 is back! I had heard rumours he may be still going strong and although I haven't actively been looking I have kept my eyes open. I first saw him in April 2018 and he has returned and raised (or at least hatched) young that year and ever since. He was accompanied by a mate and behaved very protectively. He was not reported last winter from anywhere but in previous years he has been sighted in Germany, Denmark and The Netherlands.


My old friend VJ3:)

None of the other neck ringed birds have been reported in Øygarden this year, but at least one was in Denmark in March:)

No comments: