Monday, January 09, 2023

Øygarden 06-09 January 2023 - Glaucous Gull and GND

Basically strong southerly winds, overcast with showers at times throughout.

My first hour out in Øygarden this year on 06 Januarygot things off to a reasonably good start. Although generally quiet (it was, after all, almost dark by the time I got out).

From the house just a few of the usual garden species including White-tailed Eagle havørn and Raven ravn. Popped in at Husvatnet and Solberg but very little happening there either. At Dåvøy, however, a nice first winter Glaucous Gull polarmåke rested with over 30 Herring Gulls gråmåke. In years gone by this would have been considered normal but given how few I've seen locally recently this was a nice bird to see.

First winter Glaucous Gull polarmåke with Herring Gulls gråmåke at Dåvøy

On Saturday 07 January I did my usual round at Herdlevær. A couple of Velvet Scoter sjøorre and a few White-tailed Eagles havørn were the best that were on offer here. However, being my first walk of the year almost everything was new for the year - Goldcrest fuglekonge, Common Scoter svartand, Fieldfare gråtrost, Redwing rødvingetrost, the lot. Three Greylag grågås at Breivik were the first I've seen locally for quite some time.

Sunday 08 January saw me head out to Skogsøy under some fairly wild conditions. Very little passing and almost no birds at all on the way out. However, things picked up on the way home with a Great Northern Diver islom feeding in relatively sheltered waters, a Gannet havsule heading north and a White-tailed Eagle havørn. A flock of eight Starling stær at Breivik were the first of the year, just one Greylag grågås there today.

Back home at Nautnes I was picking parsley, kale and other things for dinner when I noticed a second year Great Northern Diver islom on the sea in front of the house. Good Dad karma is what I call this kind of thing:) Despite the failing light and with my proper camera still out of action I managed a few reasonable shots.



2cy Great Northern Diver islom - not often they turn up this close from my terrace (or anywhere else for that matter!)

On 09 January I took a break from work and headed to Hjelme Vest. It was rather quiet and verging on disappointing as many of the expected regulars failed to show. Just one Great Northern Diver islom, a few White-tailed Eagles havørn, just three Long-tailed Duck havelle and two Common Scoter svartand. However, a couple of Turnstone steinvender showed briefly, a Peregrine vandrefalk hunted in the area, the first Rock Pipit skjærpiplerke of the year turned up and even the woods turned up some year ticks in the form of Great-spotted Woodpecker flaggspett and Crested Tit toppmeis.

After this I checked Dåvøy again where daily visits had thus far failed to produce any sightings of interest - and there was the Glaucous Gull polarmåke again:) 

The Great Northern Diver islom showed well from the terrace again, but as per yesterday it did not hang around long. Two Chaffinch bokfink in the garden were the first of the year.




All pictures today taken with my new point and pray:)


Glaucous Gull polarmåke with strangely dark gull to the left, probably just an odd Herring Gull?

Great Northern Diver islom from the terrace again

Colour ringed 3cy Herring Gull gråmåke, I've seen this bird from Møre og Romsdal a number of times before


Roadside Whoopers sangsvane

No comments: