Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Herdlevær 27 March 2023 - Rooks beat WBD

I did my usual round at Herdlevær before work in sunny but cold conditions. Overnight snow was melting fast but the fresh northerly breeze made it feel pretty cool.

Highlight was a flock of three Rooks kornkråke - a massive number for these parts:) - actually a better sighting round here than the White-billed Diver gulnebblom seen half an hour later. Other migrants on land were thin on the ground but included a Woodpigeon ringdue and an increase in the number of Blackbirds svarttrost.

Only shot with all three Rooks kornkråke in the same frame

Rooks kornkråke

Looked more like spring that it felt today...

A short look at the sea whilst I ate my sandwiches showed migration was continuing with a steady movement of Common Gull fskemåke, small numbers of auks (including Black Guillemot teist) and the usual suspects. Pretty much the first bird that flew past was a nice White-billed Diver gunebblom.

Common Gull fiskemåke
Although generally very happy with the point and pray I still need to figure out how to stop in overexposing and how to keep the shutter speed I want - I think that this and the following pictures would actually have been quite sharp had it not been for the slow shutter speeds...


2cy Cormorant storskarv



Massively cropped pictures of the White-billed Diver gulnebblom.
I think my trusty old DSLR would have managed slightly better but these are certainly fit for purpose:)


No comments: