Sunday, February 04, 2024

Øygarden 03-04 February - A windy weekend

On Saturday, in howling onshore winds, I did part of my usual Herldevær round for purposes other than birding. Just a few White-tailed Eagles havørn, a wind-blown Kittiwake krykkje and a Purple Sandpiper fjæreplytt of any interest. 

Although Purple Sandpiper fjæreplytt are common enough in Øygarden I have often wondered how they cope when water levels are high and waves crash over the feeding areas. Today's bird fed in short grass - something I have rarely seen this species do - whatever the weather.

Purple Sandpiper fjæreplytt feeds in an alternative area due to high water levels and large waves.

A few Oystercatcher tjeld on the rocks at Tjeldstø on the way home and a (the) female Velvet Scoter sjøorre at Nautnes were other sightings of note.

On Sunday I had intended on an early start but wintery showers made me delay a little and I checked out a few drive-by localities on my way to Skogsøy. The most surprising find was not even a bird - an Oceaneering ROV (Magnum 190) had floated in at Dåvøy - even managing to negotiate the narrow bridge. I know ROVs sometimes get lost and it isn't surprising that one ends up in Øygarden given the amount of offshore activity nearby but for one to end up at Dåvøy is remarkable.

Oceaneering Magnum ROV at Dåvøy (being inspected by a curious Grey Heron gråhegre)

A second year male Common Scoter svartand was also at Dåvøy  - not often they visit this particular area.

2cy male Common Scoter svartand at Dåvøy

Skogsøy was even windier although I managed to find a place out of the worst of things - 13 adult Kittiwakes krykkje headed north along with singles of Gannet havsule, Guillemot lomvi and Razorbill alke.

Back home at Nautnes a Black Guillemot teist fed on the sea in front of my house. I grabbed my camera to photograph it and a Sparrowhawk spurvehauk promptly flew in and landed in the garden.


Second year Black Guillemot teist forced close inshore by the strong onshore winds

Sparrowhawk spurvehauk in my garden



No comments: