Sunday, January 31, 2016

Skogsøy 31 January 2016 - Enduro test

Basically quite nice, even sunny weather most of the day but with NW winds which strengthened during snow / hail / sleet showers.

The walk out to Skogsøy was quite pleasant but a few minutes after I got there a heavy snow shower with stronger winds meant it was all but impossible to see and generally rather uncomfortable. I waited it out and was rewarded with a 5 minute period of lighter wind and good visibility before the next wave of snow hit. In the end I gave up and headed back - almost immediately the weather cleared but I was out of time.

There was stuff passing, several Gannets havsule, a couple of Kittiwake krykkje and a flock of 10 auks which disappeared into a snow squall before I could identify them were seen. Otherwise some indication of larger gulls trying to head north.

This weekend was the Norwegian Garden Bird count - a decent flock of 30 Siskin grønnsisik made this the most numerous species in my garden along with Greenfinch grønnfink, 8 Chaffinch bokfink, two each of Blackbird svarttrost and Robin rødstrupe along with the Blue Tits blåmeis and Great Tits kjøttmeis.

I was barely outside yesterday but had a Grey-headed Woodpecker gråspett heading off to roost at Nautnes in the evening.

No comments: