Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Øygarden 15 February 2017 - A new kind of guiding

Weather better than forecast (as is often the case out here at the coast). Basically calm and more or less sunny at first going over to more or less cloudy. Very little rain and nothing like as much wind as forecast either,

Normally I guide birders. Today, for the first time,  it was photography that was the aim of the game - and we were not disappointed. Within the first hour close range pictures had been taken of an Otter dragging a large lumpsucker rognkjeks ashore. This has long been my "dream shot" but as I was guiding my camera was in my rucksack and there was not the opportunity to take pictures myself.

During the day we had a minimum of 10 White-tailed Eagles havørn, a couple of which also were obliging for the camera. Other birds that performed for the camera included some Common Crossbill grankorsnebb, Merganser siland and Heron gråhegre,

Bird of the day was seen after dark as I took my compost out and filled up the bird feeders - a couple of "grey geese" flew up from the sea in front of the house. They were not Greylags or Pinkfeet, based on the call I'd guess Bean Goose sædgås.

No comments: