Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Hjelme Vest 06 March 2017 - Signs of spring

Light easterly winds.

Spring is definitely in the air now with a few species showing signs of arrival, I was busy with various errands today and barely managed a quick walk at Hjelme Vest and a drive-by at Tjeldstø but managed to see a few new arrivals - though nothing that hasn't been seen whilst I have been away,

Curlew storspove at Hjelme Vest - one of the overwintering birds

The first Oystercatcher tjeld I have seen this year in Øygarden (though others reported this species a couple of days ago)

Woodpigeon ringdue at Tjeldstø

At Hjelme Vest I had the first local Oystercatcher tjeld I have seen this year and another at Nautnes. Other birds included around 50 Long-tailed Duck havelle, a couple of Mealy Redpoll gråsisik (one of which was very pale and had a white rump), a few Black Guillemot teist, at least three White-tailed Eage havørn and a Curlew storspove.

At Tjeldstø a Woodpigeon ringdue was the first I have seen in Øygarden this year.

Greylags grågås have started to arrive in force with 12 at Kollsnes and 11 at Tjeldstø.

No comments: