Saturday, April 13, 2019

Øygarden 05-08 April - Incidental birding

On 05 April I started the day with a singing Grey-headed Woodpecker gråspett from my terrace.

Ringed Plover sandlo in early morning light

I then had to go into Bergen to work but did a quick round at Herdlevær on the way picking up a nice selection of migrants including my first Twite bergirisk of the year, a couple of Ringed Plover sandlo and many of the usual suspects.

Lesser Black-backed Gull sildemåke

Six Pinkfeet kortnebbgås

No birding on 06 April though I did take a detour on the way to the shops - picking up the six Pinkfeet kortnebbgås again as well as my first local Lesser Black-backed Gull sildemåke of the year - I I have often wondered why they tend to turn up much earlier in other, much colder, parts of Norway - they were plentiful enough up in Hedmark during my recent visit there.



A late and lazy walk at Tjeldstø on 07 April produced my first nest of the year - a Greylag grågås sitting on four eggs - although I have found a few presumably predated Greylag eggs lying around here and there recently. A Lesser Black-backed Gull sildemåke was among the usual gulls here too.

Even less birding on 08 April but had my first Lesser Redpoll brunsisik of the year from my terrace along with Grey-headed Woodpecker gråspett singing again.


No comments: