Sunday, November 03, 2019

Herdlevær 26 October 2019 - Pipit chasing

Another rather windy day.

A fairly typical morning out with a couple of White-tailed Eagle havørn, a Razorbill alke on the sea, Rock Pipits skjærpiplerke, a Wigeon brunnakke and small numbers of thrushes and finches. The finches included a couple of Goldfinch stillits.

I thought that a pipit that flew up silently was worth investigating further. Shortly afterwards it called with a tree / OBP flight call and, given the time of year my pulse rate went up and I knew I wasn't going to catch that bus to town.....




A late Tree Pipit trepiplerke

It flew off a long way but I had an idea about where it would probably go down so off I went and sure enough relocated the bird. After viewing the bird in the scope I realised it was "just" a rather late Tree Pipit trepiplerke and managed finally to snap some pictures to document the find. Just shows that these late pipits with interesting calls are just as likely to be Tree Pipit.

No comments: