Sunday, June 28, 2020

Øygarden 14-16 June 2020 - Blyth's Reed Warbler ID blunder!

On 16 June a visit to Hernar proved quite embarassing well after the event as I fell into "expectation trap" - I had hoped for Icterine Warbler and a singing bird went down as exactly that. I saw an Icterine head shape and thought I saw the pale wing panels - this proved to be a trick of the light.

A combination of a comment on a video I uploaded and review of pictures long after the event shows a classic Blyth's Reed Warbler busksanger - the first I have heard singing, the first I have seen away from the autumn migration period and my first for Hernar.


Blyth's Reed Warbler busksanger
Here is where I thought I saw light wing panel....

I should have got the colour here - not yellowy! 
Trying to obtain pictures in the field v observing the bird.....


Singing Blyth's Reed

This recording was bombed by a Chiff-chaff gransanger early on


Chiff-chaff gransanger  - this bird seemed to have rather pale legs in the strong sunlight

View over some of the "fields" on Hernar

Spotted Flycatcher gråfluesnapper with flies


The local Twite bergirisk gave great views as usual.
Many young ones present now:)

Young Wheatear steinskvett


On the way home it was nice to see Arctic Terns rødnebbterne flying around one of their breeding islands.


Arctic Terns rødnebbterne


....along with the usual Grey Seals havert, Shags toppskarv etc

Shags toppskarv, the young birds here were probably hatched locally....


Grey Seal havert


Starlings stær have started to flock and up to 100 were feeding in fields at Breivik, some even raided an ants nest and were "bathing" in it.

Starlings stær ant bathing

The Ravens ravn at Sture have at least two fledged young - wonder how many wader eggs / chicks they consumed this year.......


Two young Raven ravn



On 15 June my usual round at Herdlevær produced just the usual - an immature WT Eagle havørn, Wheatear steinskvett with young, Common Sandpipers strandsnipe etc.

Spotted Orchids are flowering all over the place now

Male Wheatear steinskvett



No comments: