Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Engerdal 03-08 February 2022 - Run to the hills

My first trip to Engerdal this year. 

Being in the east of Norway things were definitely a lot more wintery than back home with almost all fresh water frozen, snow cover and temperatures down to -16.

Still very much doing the home office thing but did get out a few times and managed some productive birding on a couple of occasions.

On 03 February I did my usual drive to check a few localities. Nothing surprising at any of these but a White-tailed Eagle havørn flying over the road was the first I've seen in these parts. The species has occurred in Engerdal quite regularly over the last few years, just not when I have been there:)

Nuthatch spettmeis on the terrace

3cy White-tailed Eagle havørn - a new species in Engerdal for me

A couple of Hazel Grouse jerpe during the day on 06 February and a Tengmalm's Owl perleugle singing in the evening were of rather more interest to me than the eagle a few days beforehand.

Struggling to find birds I opted for a dawn raid in the hills on 07 February, this turned out very well indeed with a host of good species seen - a flock of three Siberian Jay lavskrike, a couple of Pine Grosbeaks konglebit, Black Grouse orrfugl and Capercaille storfugl being the best of the sightings. 


Siberian Jay lavskrike

A happy birder heading home as the sun rises...


Lots of interesting tracks in the snow too.

Other wildlife seems plentiful if the tracks in the snow are anything to go by. Only animals actually seen were Red Squirrel, Roe Deer and Elk.







No comments: