Thursday, August 24, 2023

Øygarden 16-31 July 2023 - Green Sand and breeding Tufties

This period was marginally better for time spent birding, but only just. I also spent the best part of a couple of weeks working away.

In many ways rather similar to the first half of the month, though wader and gull passage was more obvious with Common Gulls fiskemåke on the move and some obvious Oystercatcher tjeld migration.

The last few days of the month gave Green Sandpipers skogsnipe at three localities, including from my terrace at Nautnes.

One of three Green Sandpiper skogsnipe feeding at Herdlevær
This is a typical second half of July species in Øygarden, especially if it rains:)


I had my first local Swifts tårnseiler of the year on 30 July - again from my terrace during a break from work. 

The biggest news was that Tufted Duck toppand have bred at two localities - a female was looking after seven chicks on Husvatnet on 30 July:)

On 21 July I managed my usual round at Herdlevær where a Reed Bunting sivspurv was an unseaonal oberservation. Even managed to sit and look out over the sea for an hour where there was a steady passage of Common Gull fiskemåke and Oystercatcher tjeld, plus a few Common Scoter svartand, two Red-throated Diver smålom and various other species. Curlew storspove and Whimbrel småspove fed in the area too.



The next day I was out at Skogsøy for a massive 1.5 hour seawatch. Unfortunately not much going on, just 50 Gannet havsule heading north and a light passage of Common Gulls fiskemåke. Best bird was a Great Skua storjo.

Meadow Pipit heipiplerke

Rock Pipit heipiplerke

I ended the month leaving home yet again but picked up a male Stonechat svartstrupe with three young on my way out....


Male Stonechat svartstrupe with two young



No comments: