Another week without much serious birding although a broken work laptop gave me the opportunity for some seawatching in promising conditions on 27th.
With onshore winds and no chance to do anything sensible workwise I spent a few hours at Skogsøy on 27th. Gannets havsule, a single Arctic Skua tyvjo and a lone Puffin lunde were the only avian items of interest. However, at least three Orcas spekkhoggere were great to see - and quite unexpected given the state of the sea. One was a huge male whose massive dorsal fin was visible over even the biggest waves:)
After this I took mum out for a walk where we heard a Grey-headed Woodpecker gråspett at Sæle. The birds are definitely there for those with time to get outside:)
On 29th a couple of short family walks in the afternoon produced a singing male Common Crossbill granorsnebb at Hatten and a Greenshank gluttsnipe at Tjeldstø whilst looking for predatory plants. Some Redshak rødstilk still around - either hangers on from the breeding season or migrants passing through.
The next time I left the house was a very short walk in the neighbourhood on the evening of 31st July, this resulted in a Wood Sandpiper grønnstilk that flew in and landed in front of my house:) Unusually this bird posed nicely for the camera and is the first I've seen in Øygarden this year:)
My usual walk at Herdlevær on 2nd August provided just a few Common Sandpiper strandsnipe and the usual suspects.





No comments:
Post a Comment