Tuesday, November 09, 2021

Nautnes and Herdla 09 November 2021 - Hoopoe and some out of Øygarden birding

Today I had promised my youngest some long awaited driving practise before her forthcoming driving test so time was not in my favour today. I opted to start with a quick look at Hjelme West. There was not much doing there so when I received a tip-off regarding a Hoopoe hærfugl just a few hundred metres from my house I managed to run through the woods all the way back to my car. Thank you Skogsøy for the training:)

Shortly after I was enjoying the second Hoopoe for Nautnes and the fourth for the "new" Øygarden. Interestingly both observations in the old Øygarden were from EXACTLY the same place and both the other sightings were in Tælevåg. However, the national database does not contain all records as I know of others at Herdlevær and Tjeldstø neither of which seem to have been reported.

Not quite the habitat I had expected - there are other areas that seem more suitable very close by


Rooftop feeding is not something I have seen before



After snapping a few brief photographs it was time to drive. We went to Herdla on the other side of the fjord for various reasons, we had a short walk and did not do the normal full round but a nice Richard's Pipit tartarpiplerke called a lot and gave brief but good views in the scope. Two Taiga Bean Geese taigasædgås and a couple of Pinkfeet kortnebbgås joined a flock of 91 Greylag grågås there.

Two Taiga Bean Geese taigasædgås, a Pinkfoot kortnebbgås (left) and two Greylags grågås at Herdla

Taiga Bean Goose taigasædgås (right) and a Greylag grågås at Herdla

Two Taiga Bean Geese taigasædgås and two Greylags grågås at Herdla

A lone Whooper Swan sangsvane joined the geese in the fields too

The Hoopoe was still present on my return - unsurprisingly accompanied by a throng of photographers.

No comments: