Friday, October 25, 2019

Tjeldstø 20 October 2019 - RING-NECKED DUCK

The cracking weather continues and after a day of essentially not birding I was on my way to fill petrol when a message came in that meant I had to screech to a halt at Husvatnet, Tjeldstø.

Local birder Bjørnar Skjold had found the first Ring-necked Duck ringand for Øygarden!! Owing to the rarity value and the fact others were on their way to get this massive find (only the second county record) I just took some documentation shots from a long distance (the others had already secured more than ample shots so there was no need for more).

Jay nøtteskrike collecting peanuts at Hatten


A couple of obscenely cropped images from my DSLR





Phone scoped images of  the presumed 2cy Ring-necked Duck ringand


On the way home I managed to pick up a Green Woodpecker grønspett at Hatten - the second Øygarden tick today! This species has been seen for the last week or so by a number of obsevers in various places which may point to something of an invasion. This is the first record to be found in the national recording system although the late Eddie Chapman told me that he had seen this species at least at Sæle in the past.

Relegated to "also ran" was a Two-barred Crossbill bånkorsnebb at the same place.

One of the Ring Ousel ringtrost from yesterday also found its way back to my garden.

No comments: