Friday, October 25, 2019

Øygarden 17-19 October 2019 - Common Crossbill on the move

SE winds continue.....

On 17 October I did the "usual" Thursday half-day on Hernar. The weather forecast turned out to be the exact opposite of what actually happened so instead of dry in the morning and wet in the afternoon this turned out to be a rather wet experience. Nothing much of note though the Carrion Crow svartkråke was still present and a Velvet Scoter sjøorre joined the Common Scoter svartand flock. Water Rail vannrikse, small numbers of Twite bergirisk, a Chiff-chaff gransanger and several Red-throated Diver smålom were among the species seen.

I spent a couple of hours at Herdlevær on 18 October where the main feature was a very noticeable movement of Common Crossbill grankorsnebb - at least 240 headed south whilst I was there and I had a couple of hundred more heading the same way at other localities later in the day. Highlights were a probable Green Woodpecker grønnspett (heard only), a Yellowhammer gulspurv that flew over a few times, a late White Wagtail linerle etc.


Blackbird svarttrost




Chiff-chaff gransanger - sounded like sibe but didn't tick many other of the boxes

A Chiff-chaff gransanger sounded very "chicken" like and on call should have been a tristis. However, I could not make any of the plumage details fit - rather like a bird I had on Hernar a few years ago.

Back home at Nautnes a couple of flocks of Goldfinch stillits totalling 19 birds headed north and two Ring Ousel ringtrost fed in the area and even came into my "garden".

The flock of nine Pinkfeet kortnebbgås remained at Breivik and a few Golden Plover heilo still knocking about here and there.

And to show that I very occasionally take photos of things that are not birds a couple of shots from my terrace:

Moon taken with a mobile phone though my scope

Evening view from the terrace

No comments: