Saturday, March 14, 2020

Dåvøy and Hjelme 13 March 2020 - Just checking

Decent weather, if rather chilly, for most of the day. Didn't really go out but quickly did a few drive-bys here and there.




Some massively cropped images of the female Stonechat svartstrupe

The Stonechat svartstrupe was still present and proved popular with birders from town and must thus classify as the first twitch of the year out here. It proved just as frustrating to follow and document as it has the last few days. Some birders are working from home due to the corona virus and could thus make the trip to see this bird - a silver lining in these chaotic times.

This got me thinking that if a mega is found what will people do then? A massive crowd of twitchers would be rather unethical in the current situation......I hope I get the chance to see what happens!






Some more shots of the difficult to identify gull with yellow legs 

I checked Dåvøy quickly and the infuriating gull-with-yellow-legs showed very well. Although I have seen it quite a few times this year today gave the best photo opportunities. I have swung from YLG to HG and back again a few times, and although I have definitely been in the YLG camp at times I am now in doubt again. Sometimes I wish it would just go away so I don't have to read all the YLG ID literature again and again and again.

In sheer desparation I started a thread on the WP gulls FB group here - and the helpful gull experts have been weighing in. Thanks to all who have helped so far😵

Mistle Thrush duetrost - a very shy species on this side of the North Sea!

A Mistle Thrush duetrost was reported at Hjelme so I dutifully headed out to see it. The timing for this record is a rather more normal record than the previous bird back in January.....

No comments: